Sep 23, 2023  
2016-2017 College Catalog 
2016-2017 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Academic Year

The College’s academic year is divided into three terms: Fall Semester, Spring Semester, and Summer Term. In some majors, students need to attend classes only during Fall and Spring Semesters. Other majors require students to attend both semesters and the Summer Term. For scheduling and entry options, see the curriculum guides for each major.

Time Commitment

A full-time schedule is defined as a minimum of 12 credit hours per week of classroom instruction or laboratory work and an average of 18-24 hours per week of outside study. Students balancing work and family with college coursework should be aware of the time commitment and plan accordingly. No student can carry more than 18 credits per term without permission from the department head or dean. See Course Load section for details.

Academic Policies

Academic Fresh Start

The Academic Fresh Start (AFS) is designed to allow returning students at Tri-County Technical College, under specific conditions, to have all grades earned in previous terms excluded from the overall calculation of their institutional grade point average (GPA). However, students granted an AFS will continue to have all courses and grades on their transcripts.

Academic Fresh Start is open to a returning student under the following conditions:

  • Three years must have elapsed from the end of the last semester of attendance by a student at Tri-County Technical College and the time of re-enrollment.
  • The student must have earned at least 24 credit hours (including developmental courses) from Tri-County Technical College.
  • The student can petition for an AFS only once during his/her academic career at Tri-County Technical College.
  • A petition must be submitted by the student no later than the first day of class for the term in which he/she is applying for an AFS.
  • Exclusion of the a student’s courses and grades cannot be reversed.
  • Although excluded courses and grades cannot be used to fulfill a student’s graduation requirements, the courses can satisfy prerequisite requirements.
  • A copy of the student’s application for AFS will be maintained in the student’s permanent file.
  • If a credential (degree, diploma, or certificate) has already been awarded to the student by Tri-County Technical College, no courses taken prior to the award will be considered for AFS.
  • This local policy does not supersede any state or federal policies related to determination of scholarships, student financial aid, or other matters related to student cumulative GPA. Decisions regarding academic standing at other institutions and course transfer by other institutions reside with the receiving college or university. Such decisions may be made without consideration of the AFS granted by Tri-County Technical College.

For additional information regarding the Academic Fresh Start, contact Student Records, Pendleton Campus, Miller Hall, Room 190)

Academic Honors

Dean’s List and President’s List: Each term, the College recognizes students who excel in their academic studies. To be eligible, a student must meet all of the following requirements for the term:

  • Be classified as a degree-, diploma-, or certificate-seeking student;
  • Earn at least 12 credit hours in courses numbered 100 or higher;
  • Attain a GPA of 3.50 - 3.99 for the Dean’s List or 4.00 for the President’s List; and
  • Cannot earn an F, WF, or U grade for courses numbered 100 or below, MAT 150 or ENG 150.

Alpha Zeta Beta (AZB): AZB is the local chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, a national honor fraternity for community and junior college students. To be eligible for membership, students must be enrolled in an associate degree program, have accumulated a minimum of 12 credit hours, and have achieved and maintained a GPA of at least 3.50.

Academic Distinction: Each term, the College recognizes part-time students who excel in their academic studies.  To be eligible, a student must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in 6 to 11 credit hours for two consecutive terms; and
  • Earn at least 12 semester hours during the two consecutive terms, with a grade of A in each attempted course.

Attendance Policy

Tri-County Technical College believes that class attendance is crucial to student success. As such, the College requires regular attendance to promote academic success and effective workplace skills required by employers. Additionally, the College must maintain compliance with all Federal Financial Aid statutes regarding attendance. Therefore, a student who accumulates more than the allowable number of absences during the term will be withdrawn from the course.

A student may not be absent for more than 14 consecutive calendar days in a term. NOTE: the 14 consecutive day rule does not include extended College scheduled breaks of five or more days (i.e., Spring Break). Weekends and scheduled breaks less than five days are included in the 14 consecutive day rule.

Individual Academic Divisions/Departments may have a more rigid attendance policy. Those policies must be communicated in writing to students on the first day of class.


A student who wishes to attend credit classes, but who does not wish to take examinations or receive a grade or semester hour credits, may register as an audit student.

An “Audit Registration Form” must be completed and returned to Student Records prior to the last day of the add period. Students may not change status (credit to audit or audit to credit) after the add period for the term.

Audit students pay regular course tuition and fees and are eligible for refunds according to the Tuition Fee Refund for Credit Programs policy and procedure during the drop/add period. Audit students must adhere to the College attendance policy during the drop/add period.

Students who previously audited a course must register and pass the course in order to receive credit for the course. Students may not receive credit by examination for previously audited courses. Exceptions to this rule may be granted by the Assistant Vice President for Curriculum and Instruction upon written request of the student. An audited course may not be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Participation of audit students in class discussions and examinations is at the discretion of the instructor.

Classification of Students

  • Student: A person registered at the College is considered to be a student only when all fees and tuition are paid.
  • Full-Time Student: A student enrolled for 12 or more credit hours in a degree, diploma, or certificate program in a given term. (For Veterans Administration education benefits, different or additional criteria may apply. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information.)
  • Half-Time Student: A student enrolled for 6 to 11 credit hours of coursework in a given term.
  • Less than Half-Time Student: A student enrolled for fewer than 6 credit hours of coursework in a given term.
  • First Semester Freshman: A student who has earned fewer than 15 credit hours.
  • Second Semester Freshman: A student who has earned between 15 to 29 credit hours.
  • First Semester Sophomore: A student who has earned between 30 to 44 credit hours.
  • Second Semester Sophomore: A student who has earned 45 or more credit hours.
  • Non-Degree Student : A student enrolled in one or more courses who has no immediate intention to transfer into or graduate from a program at the College. To be classified as a non-degree student, a student must be at least 18 years of age, or be a high school graduate or the equivalent, or be a high school student, with permission from principal and parents. Exceptions must be approved by the Senior Vice President, the Dean of Student Development, or their designees.
  • Transient Student: A student enrolled in one or more courses with the intention on transferring the credit(s) back to the student’s home institution.
  • Corporate and Community Education Student: A student enrolled in a Corporate and Community Education class/seminar.

Course Load

A student may enroll in, at most, eighteen credit hours in either the fall or spring semester unless specific approval is given by the department head and the division dean, or unless the program credit hour requirement published in the College Catalog exceeds eighteen credit hours for the given semester.  In the case of summer term any student whose program of study is in the Arts and Sciences Division or in the Business and Public Services Division may enroll in at most fifteen credit hours unless specific approval is given by the department head and the division dean, or unless the program credit hour requirement published in the College Catalog exceeds fifteen credit hours.

New or Modified Course Prerequisites

New or modified course prerequisites are applicable, independent of the student’s edition of the Catalog. Requests for exceptions are considered as they are for other prerequisites.

General Education Course Requirements

A well-educated person has the ability to communicate effectively, reason quantitatively, think critically, and view society from a global perspective. Such a person finds value and fulfillment in learning opportunities that arise beyond the formal education experience. Such a person uses these opportunities to better understand others, to better understand self in relation to others, to engage in rational decision making, and to appreciate others’ contributions in the fields of art and literature. The liberal arts provide the foundation for an education that produces graduates with these abilities.

In order to earn an associate’s degree, a student must complete at least 15 semester hours of general education coursework, to include at least three semester hours of humanities/fine arts, at least three semester hours of social/behavioral sciences, and at least three semester hours of natural sciences/mathematics. To earn an associate’s degree, a student must complete one of the following courses: SPC 205 ENG 155 ENG 156 , ENG 165 SPC 200 , or SPC 209 . Each student should refer to the general education section of her/his chosen program of study to determine the specific requirements for that program. A list of general education courses is located in the General Education Course Offerings  section of this Catalog.

Students enrolled in programs in the Business and Public Services Division, the Health Education Division, or the Engineering and Industrial Technology Division who are considering transferring to a four-year institution should consult with their academic advisor when choosing their general education courses, as not all courses listed will transfer or apply to intended majors.

Course Waiver

With the approval of the department head, a required course may be waived. When this occurs, no credit hours are awarded toward a degree, diploma, or certificate. Students will be required to take an approved substitute course if additional credit hours are needed to fulfill the curriculum requirements for the associate degree, diploma, or certificate. If a general education course is waived, another appropriate general education course must be substituted if the minimum number of general education credit hours required is not earned. The source of the credit substituted may be the completion of an academic course or the receipt of credit through any method for which advanced standing is established. If a student changes his/her major, the decision regarding the course waiver will not apply to the new major.

Distance Learning

To better serve the residents of the tri-county area, the College has developed distance learning classes for students who either cannot, or choose not to, come to one of our campuses on a regular basis. All on-campus services are available for students enrolled in distance learning. Students are responsible for ensuring that they have the computer skills and access to computer, audio, and visual equipment required for the courses in which they enroll. They should carefully note published descriptions of distance learning courses as some may require on-campus meetings or supervised tests. All students enrolled in online courses are expected to log in, communicate with the instructor, keep up with assignments, meet all due dates and participate in courses as directed by their instructor. Distance learning courses follow the same calendar as on-campus courses, including registration, drop/add and tuition and fee payment dates. Students enrolled in distance learning courses are expected to meet the same requirements as students enrolled in equivalent on-campus courses and to adhere to College policies and procedures.

Grade Definitions

A Excellent: “A” is used in GPA calculations, earns credit hours, and carries a value of 4 grade points for each credit hour.
B Above Average: “B” is used in GPA calculations, earns credit hours, and carries a value of 3 grade points for each credit hour.
C Average: “C” is used in GPA calculations, earns credit hours, and carries a value of 2 grade points for each credit hour.
D Below Average: “D” is used in GPA calculations, earns credit hours, and carries a value of 1 grade point for each credit hour.
F Failure: “F” is used in GPA calculations, earns no credit hours, and carries 0 grade points for each credit hour attempted.
I Incomplete: “I” does not affect GPA calculations, earns no credit hours, and generates no grade points. The student will be allowed 20 instructional days into the succeeding term/session to complete the unfinished assignments (see Academic Calendar for specific dates). The instructor may set an earlier deadline for completion of assignments. If fewer than 20 instructional days are granted, the due date for completion must be stated in writing to the student and the Registrar. “I” defaults to “F” automatically after 20 instructional days into the succeeding term if the requirements for a course grade are not completed within the 20-instructional-day period.
W Withdrawn: “W” is not used in GPA calculations, earns no credit, and generates no grade points.  “W” may be given from the end of the drop period up to the completion of 60% of the term/session for which the class is offered (as indicated on the Academic Calendar). 
WF Withdrawn Failing: “WF” is used in GPA calculations, earns no credit hours, and carries 0 grade points for each credit hour attempted. Used only for Academic Integrity violations.
S Satisfactory: “S” does not affect GPA calculations, earns Continuing Education Units (CEUs), and generates no grade points (Applies to non-credit programs only.)
U Unsatisfactory: “U” does not affect GPA calculations, earns no Continuing Education Unites (CEUs) and generates no grade points (Applies to non-credit programs only.)
AS Advanced Standing: “AS” earns credit hours but is not used in GPA calculations and does not generate grade points. An “AS” is given for allowable equivalent credits earned with advanced standing credit.
AU Audit: “AU” is not used in GPA calculations, earns no credit hours, and generates no grade points. The student is responsible for contracting this grade with Student Records at registration or within the add period.
E Exempt: “E” is not used in GPA calculations, earns credit hours, and generates no grade points. An “E” is awarded for Tri-County Technical College courses which the student has been permitted to exempt as a result of testing, equivalent work experience, or other educational experience.
TA Transfer: “TA” earns credit hours but is not used in GPA calculations and does not generate grade points. A “TA” is given for allowable equivalent credits earned with the grade of “A” at other post-secondary institutions. All transfer grades must be supported by an official transcript from the post-secondary institution.
TB Transfer: “TB” earns credit hours but is not used in GPA calculations and does not generate grade points. A “TB” is given for allowable equivalent credits earned with the grade of “B” at other post- secondary institutions. All transfer grades must be supported by an official transcript from the post-secondary institution.
TC Transfer: “TC” earns credit hours but is not used in GPA calculations and does not generate grade points. A “TC” is given for allowable equivalent credits earned with the grade of “C” at other post-secondary institutions. All transfer grades must be supported by an official transcript from the post-secondary institution.

Developmental courses (those numbered less than 100) generate no credit hours, do not affect the GPA, and do not count toward graduation. Courses numbered 100 generate credit hours and affect the GPA but do not count toward graduation in any certificate, diploma, or degree program. Grades of A, B, C, D, F, W, I and AU are earned in these courses. Grades marked with an asterisk on a student’s transcript are not include in GPA calculations.

Grade Changes/Discrepancies

A student wishing to protest a course grade must first attempt to resolve any disagreement with the instructor. If the student is unable to reach a satisfactory resolution with the instructor, the student should contact the course department head. All grade changes, including Administrative Drops, must be submitted no later than the 20th class day, as indicated on the Academic Calendar, of the subsequent term/session.

Grade Point Average Calculation

Grades are calculated on a 4.0 scale. Points are awarded in this manner:

Grade   Grade Points per Credit Hour
A =   4
B =   3
C =   2
D =   1
F =   0
WF=   0

Sample Calculation

Assume a student has taken the following courses with the results shown.

Course   Credit Hours   Grade   Grade Points
BIO 101   4.0   B   3
ENG 156   3.0   C   2
MAT 110   3.0   F   0

To calculate GPA, multiply the number of credit hours by the grade points to determine the number of quality points.

Course   Credit Hours   Grade Points   Quality Points
BIO 101   4.0   3 = 12.0
ENG 156   3.0   2 = 6.0
MAT 110   3.0   0 = 0.0

Add credit hours; then add quality points

Credit Hours   Quality Points  
4.0   12.0  
+3.0   +6.0  
+3.0   +0  
10.0   18.0  

Divide the number of quality points by the number of credit hours = GPA

18 divided by 10 = 1.80 GPA

Academic Concerns and Complaints

Concerns and complaints related to learning experiences in a class or course generally can be resolved by communicating with the instructor with whom the concern or issue originated. If after communicating an academic concern to the instructor, the student feels the issue has not been resolved, the next person to contact is the department head.

If after communicating with the department head, the student still feels that the issue has not been resolved, the next person to contact is the appropriate division dean.

If after communicating with the appropriate division dean, the student feels the issue remains unresolved, an appointment may be scheduled with the Dean of Student Development. Prior to scheduling that meeting, the student must document efforts to resolve the concern by submitting a completed Academic Affairs Student Concern/Complaint form, available from the Dean of Student Development.

Mandatory Placement Policy

Tri-County Technical College is committed to its mission of educating students to meet the requirements of today’s workforce. In order to ensure the success of students at TCTC, all students are required to take the placement test prior to enrolling, unless previous transcripts satisfy courses prerequisites. These scores provide proper placement into English, reading, writing, mathematics and science classes. TCTC has a mandatory placement policy that requires students who score below minimum levels in reading, writing and/or math to take transitional coursework before enrolling in certain courses. This requirement enables students to develop the essential academic skills needed to succeed in their college-level classes. Also, in order to ensure student success in future college-level classes, students must master the prerequisite skills offered in each class to progress to the next level class.

Repeating a Course

When a course is repeated, all grades will be entered on the student’s permanent academic record and the highest of the grades will be included in the GPA calculations. In the case of identical grades, the initial grade received will be included in the GPA calculations. Students who plan to transfer should understand that the receiving college may recalculate grade point averages, including repeat grades, according to that college’s policies. Veterans should be aware that the VA will not pay educational benefits for repeating a course for which the student has previously received graduation credit. Students receiving any type of financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the implications of repeating a course.

Courses taken under the former quarter system may not be replaced in the GPA calculation with a semester course unless authorized by the Senior Vice President.

Standards of Academic Progress

The purpose of having Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) is to assist students in attaining their educational goals by providing a scale by which to measure progress toward graduation. A minimum institutional grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is used at the College to determine SAP. Institutional intervention strategies are in place for students who fall below this standard.

In order to remain in good standing, a student enrolled in classes and pursuing an associate degree, diploma, or certificate must achieve and maintain a minimum of a 2.0 institutional GPA, excluding exempted or transfer hours.


Students participating in Federal Financial Aid or other student aid programs are subject to specific SAP requirements that impact continued eligibility. The College administers financial aid programs according to the regulations set forth by the United States Department of Education and other regulatory bodies. These requirements are articulated in the Satisfactory Academic Progress for Federal and Other Student Aid Programs policy. Information can also be found in the Standards of Progress for Financial Aid Programs section of this Catalog.


A grade of “C” or greater is needed in all required courses in all health education programs to progress in the programs. A student may repeat a maximum of two major courses. Students should refer to the program information in the Health Education section of this Catalog and the individual program handbooks for additional information.


Other programs may have internally or externally mandated requirements which must be met. Such requirements are published in this Catalog in the section for those specific academic majors.

Academic Standing

Academic standing is determined during end-of-term processing, at which point students not in good standing are coded as follows:

  • Good Standing: To be classified as being in Good Standing, a student must maintain the minimum institutional GPA requirements as stated above.
  • Warning: A student previously in Good Standing who falls below a 2.0 institutional GPA will be placed on Warning for his/her next term of enrollment. A student who achieves a 2.0 institutional GPA at the end of his/her Warning term is placed back in Good Standing.  
  • Probation: A student who has been on Warning for the preceding semester and whose institutional GPA remains below a 2.0 will be placed on Probation for his/her next term of enrollment. A student who achieves a 2.0 institutional GPA at the end of his/her Probation term is placed back in Good Standing.
  • Suspension: A student whose institutional GPA remains below a 2.0 at the end of the term of probation, will be placed on Suspension and will not be permitted to register for the following academic term. 

Requirements for Students Not in Good Standing

Students not in Good Standing are notified by the Senior Vice President via e-mail of their current status and the requirements that must be completed prior to registering for a future term. Students on Suspension are notified in writing of their status at the College. 

The student’s status will be indicated on his/her permanent academic record. Registration will be prevented for students on academic probation and suspension until he/she has satisfied all requirements as outlined below. 

REQUIREMENTS OF STUDENTS ON WARNING: A student placed on Warning is encouraged to meet with his/her academic advisor to discuss the factors affecting his/her academic performance.

REQUIREMENTS OF STUDENTS ON PROBATION: If an institutional GPA of 2.0 is not achieved at the end of a Warning term, the student will be placed on Probation for the following term and a registration hold applied for that term. If the student registered during the priority registration period for the term he/she has been placed on Probation, the student will be encouraged to meet with the academic advisor to determine whether any schedule adjustments are needed. If adjustments are needed (add, drop, or withdraw), the advisor will override the academic standing allowing the student make the necessary changes. If the student did not register early, he/she must meet with an advisor prior to registering. The advisor will discuss with the student his/her academic progress. After discussion with the student, the advisor will override the academic standing allowing the student to register for courses.

REQUIREMENTS OF STUDENTS ON SUSPENSION: If an institutional GPA of 2.0 is not achieved at the end of a Probation term, the student will be placed on Suspension and not allowed to register for the following term. During the registration period for the term following the Suspension term, the student must meet with a counselor in the Student Life and Development Office to discuss his/her academic progress and to identify appropriate actions to improve performance. The counselor will complete the Registration Approval form and require the student to submit it to his/her faculty advisor. The student will then submit the completed form to Student Records where staff will override the academic standing allowing the student to register for courses.

Students who have completed one term’s absence on Suspension will continue to be identified as on Suspension for the term in which they return.

If an institutional GPA of 2.0 has not been achieved at the end of the subsequent term, the student will not be allowed to register again without approval of the Academic Appeals Committee.

Academic Appeals Committee and Procedure

PURPOSE: The purpose of the Academic Appeals Committee is to hear student requests for reactivation after not returning to Good Standing in the term following a suspension.

COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP: The Committee will be composed of the following: Senior Vice President, Chair; Dean of Student Development; one Credit Dean appointed by the Senior Vice President; and three faculty appointed by the Senior Vice President. Upon written request of the student, a Student Government Association (SGA) representative may also serve on the Academic Appeals Committee.

APPEALS PROCEDURE: At least eight (8) weeks prior to the first day of classes of the proposed reactivation term, a student desiring to have his/her record reactivated must submit to the Senior Vice President a petition for reactivation. The petition must include a complete explanation for the student’s poor academic performance. To the extent possible, verifiable documentation should also be included. The student may appear before the Committee when it convenes.

DECISIONS: The Senior Vice President will inform the student in writing of the Committee’s decision four (4) weeks prior to the first day of classes of the reactivation term. If the decision is to allow the student to return, the student will be placed on Good Standing and the Senior Vice President will inform the Registrar in writing or via e-mail.

APPEALS TO THE PRESIDENT: If the petition is denied, the suspension may be appealed to the President of the College, whose decision is final. The petition to the President must be submitted within three (3) work days of receiving the decision of the Academic Appeals Committee. The President will review all related information and will inform the student in writing of the final decision no less than ten (10) work days prior to the beginning of the semester in which the students desires to re-enter. A copy of the President’s written decision will be sent to the Senior Vice President. If the decision is to allow the student to return, the student will be placed on Good Standing and the Senior Vice President will inform the Registrar in writing or via e-mail.

SUBSEQUENT REACTIVATION: If after one year of no enrollment following suspension the student desires to return, he/she must submit a request in writing to the Senior Vice President at least eight (8) weeks prior to the beginning of the term in which he/she desires to enroll. The Senior Vice President may request a meeting with the student as part of the decision-making process. The Senior Vice President will inform the student of his/her decision in writing at least four (4) weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. If the decision is to allow the student to return, the student will be placed on Good Standing and the Senior Vice President will inform the Registrar in writing or via e-mail. Academic standing for prior terms will not be altered in any way.

Acceptance of Credit and Awarding of Advanced Standing

The College allows students the opportunity to earn credit through transfer of courses from other post-secondary institutions and through advanced standing opportunities. However, a student must earn a minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for a degree, diploma, or certificate through courses taken at the College. Included in the approved coursework for a diploma or degree must be two courses selected from the curriculum major (excluding electives), unless specifically exempted by both the department head and dean.

A student does not have to be admitted to the College in order to have experiences or coursework evaluated for advanced standing credit. A student must, however, be enrolled in a curriculum program to have advanced standing credit documented on an official College transcript.

Transfer Credit

Tri-County Technical College will grant credit for courses taken at other regionally accredited postsecondary institutions provided the student earned a “C” (or minimum grade point of 2.0) or above in those courses.. Transfer credits from a college without regional accreditation must be approved by the Associate Vice President of Curriculum and Instruction. Exceptions will be documented and submitted and to the Registrar’s Office. A student’s official transcript from other colleges will be evaluated and credit determined by the appropriate subject department head or program coordinator. Transfer credit will be granted according to the following guidelines:

  1. A student’s official transcripts from other colleges will be evaluated and credit determined by the appropriate subject department head.
  2. Credit will be given for the equivalent College course.
  3. If the equivalent College course credits do not exceed the course credits being transferred by more than one-half credit hour, full credit for the College course will be granted. If the college course credits exceed the course credits being transferred by more than one-half credit hour, the student has the option of taking an exemption exam or requesting a course waiver.
  4. Elective credit may be granted for courses for which the College does not have an equivalent course.
  5. Transfer credit may be granted for all applicable courses without regard to when the credit was initially earned. (Exceptions: Some curricula may require that credit be earned within a specified period of time. In some technical courses, the student may also be advised to validate competency.)
  6. If a student has exempted prerequisite courses and has earned credit for advanced courses at an institution where previously enrolled, the student may request that exemption credit also be granted by the College by providing appropriate documentation. In lieu of appropriate documentation, the student may take an exemption exam (for credit) or request a course waiver (no credit).

While enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program at the College, the student must secure permission from his/her advisor prior to taking courses at other post-secondary institutions for transfer credit. The form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to taking the course.

Technical Advanced Placement (TAP)

The College will award credit for specific College courses to area high school students who have successfully completed all procedures outlined in TAP Teacher Recommendation forms. Students taking high school courses, especially in occupational and technical areas, that cover skills and competencies equivalent to content in Tri-County Technical College courses, may qualify to earn credit for the Tri-County courses. Students may have their skills verified through examination or by completing coursework that requires the use of skills acquired in high school. Validation guidelines for each course are included in the Teacher Recommendation forms in the TAP section of the College website ( High school students who would like more information about TAP should contact their guidance counselor or occupational teacher and/or review the TAP information on the College’s website. TAP credit will be documented on College transcripts as “Technical Advanced Placement” credit. A copy of the test, or other equivalency verification, must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office along with the Advanced Standing Credit form.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may receive credit for courses by making an acceptable score on the CLEP tests. Although the College does not administer the CLEP, students may contact the Registrar’s Office for more information. Credit will be recorded on transcripts as “Advanced Placement.”

Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

The College recognizes the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. High school students interested in receiving Advanced Placement credit are encouraged to participate in their high school’s Advanced Placement (AP) programs. Examination results should be sent to Tri-County Technical College by the College Board. Credit is awarded to those who earn 3, 4, or 5 on the College Board AP examination. Credit will be recorded as “Advanced Placement” on transcripts.

International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examinations (IB)

Students may receive credit for courses by making an acceptable score on IB Higher Level Exams.  Students may contact the Student Records Office for more information.  Credit will be recorded on transcripts as “Advanced Placement.”

Experiential Learning

Military Education: The College recognizes educational experiences in the armed services. In determining credits to be awarded for such experiences, recommendations provided in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, published by the American Council on Education, are considered. Credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript as “Educational Experience.”  A copy of the supporting documentation must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office with the Advanced Standing Credit form.

Documented Work Experience: The College may grant credit for documented work experience. The work experience must be documented in writing from the student’s employer. The justification must tie the prior experience to the competencies of the relevant course. The subject-matter department head will determine the relevancy of the documented work experience to a specific course and ensure the work experience does not duplicate credit already awarded or planned for the student’s academic program. Elective credit may be awarded at the discretion of the subject-matter department head. Documented work experience credit may be awarded for no more than 25% of the credit hours applied toward a degree, diploma, or certificate. Credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript as “Work Experience.”  A copy of the supporting documentation must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office with the Advanced Standing Credit form.

Examination Credit

If a student believes he/she has mastered course outcomes through work or educational experiences and they wish to receive course credit without enrolling in classes by taking an examination, he/she is required to do the following:

  1. Present evidence documenting education or work experience that is similar to the content of a particular course to the appropriate department head.
  2. Submit a request for the examination to the appropriate department head who will determine eligibility for the exam.
  3. Pay a fee of $75 for each examination, and present the receipt at the time the exemption exam is administered.
  4. Earn a grade of at least a “C” on the examination, as defined in current course syllabi. Credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript as “Exemption Exam.”
  5. A student may not retake an exemption exam. (Exceptions due to extenuating circumstances may be granted by the Associate Vice President of Curriculum and Instruction upon receipt of a written request from the student.)

In no case can the exception be granted more than once for a course. A student who has enrolled in a course (i.e. audited, failed, withdrawn, etc.) will not be permitted to take an exemption examination for that course. A copy of the test must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office along with the Advanced Standing Credit form.

CHE State Policies and Procedures

The Commission on Higher Education (CHE) for the state of South Carolina coordinates post-secondary education in public-supported institutions, including policies and procedures for students and their course credits transferring between and among these institutions. The CHE has established transfer policies and procedures that all State public institutions must follow.

Most courses in the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science majors are designed for transfer to other colleges and universities (see Arts and Sciences Division section). Credits earned in other majors may be evaluated by other institutions on an individual basis.

The chief transfer officer at the College is the Dean of the Arts and Sciences Division. This officer administers the transfer degree programs (Associate of Arts and Associate of Science) and coordinates the advising of transfer students. Students may consult the dean of their programs of study for questions concerning transfer of courses into program curricula. CHE regulations and procedures are listed in Appendix 2.

Statewide Articulation Courses

Tri-County Technical College offers 64 of the 86 courses articulated by CHE.

These courses transfer to any four-year public institution in South Carolina.

Transferable Courses

Tri-County Technical College offers numerous other transferable courses taught by faculty who are credentialed at the University Transfer level. It is the responsibility of the receiving institution to evaluate student transcripts and to make decisions concerning which courses are applied to particular degree programs.

Business & Public Services

Registration/Schedule Changes

Purpose of Academic Advising

Academic advising is a critical component of the transformational educational experience at Tri-County Technical College. Its primary purpose is to assist students in the development of meaningful curricular and co-curricular plans and to align those plans with attainable life goals.

Academic Advisors provide students with specialized, personal contact, and seek to meet student needs in the following ways:

  • Assist in development of realistic educational plans compatible with academic, life, and career goals based on a student’s abilities and time constraints;
  • Provide individualized, proactive academic guidance throughout a student’s academic career, including monitoring and following up on student progress;
  • Aid students through their academic careers in developing decision-making skills and in becoming autonomous and self-reliant;
  • Refer to appropriate support services both on campus and in the community; and
  • Provide job placement information and university transfer assistance as needed.

Essential to the advising process is the need to listen to and respect advisee concerns and maintain confidentiality.


Academic advising for course selection is mandatory for all students enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program.  Registration dates are listed on the Academic Calendar available on the website at Prior to each term, students should complete the following registration processes:

CURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS may register for courses online via eTC after being advised for course selection. Appointments with advisors should be made during the “Advising for Currently Registered Students” period.

NEW, RETURNING, or TRANSFER STUDENTS may register for courses online via eTC after attending orientation and being advised for course selection.

After completing the registration process, ALL STUDENTS should:

  • Verify financial aid award status, if applicable, via their eTC account.
  • Pay tuition and fees in the Business Office. No student is officially enrolled until all fees are paid.

Drop/Add Period

Students interested in changing their schedules after classes have started may do so online via eTC. Students may add classes to their schedules during the first three instructional days and drop classes during the first five instructional days of a 14-week session. Students who wish to change sections of the same course or move from certain upper and lower Biology, Chemistry, English, Reading, or Math courses will be allowed to do so throughout the drop period. The add and drop periods will be prorated for sessions of varying lengths as published in the academic calendar.

Students who add courses after the term begins are responsible for classes missed. Students receiving financial aid must contact the Financial Aid Office to review their adjusted financial aid awards.

Withdrawal from a Class

Any student may withdraw from a class online via eTC with a grade of “W” after the drop/add period but prior to the completion of 60% of the session for which the class is offered. A student who has not withdrawn or been withdrawn prior to the deadline will receive the final course grade calculated as stated in the course syllabus.

A grade of “W” may be awarded after the deadline provided the student presents reasonable, documented, non-academic circumstances as justification for an exception to the withdrawal policy. Such an exception requires the approval of the instructor and head of the department in which the course is housed.

The student is responsible for all transactions, including notification of the Financial Aid Office, if financial aid, scholarships, or VA education benefits are being received.

Withdrawal from the College

All students officially withdrawing from the College must complete a “Withdraw from College” form available in Student Records. Students are required to meet with a Financial Aid counselor prior to submitting the form to Student Records. NOTE: Students leaving the College without completing the “Withdraw from College” form are considered unofficially withdrawn.

A student’s federal financial aid eligibility must be recalculated for students who withdraw (officially or unofficially), drop out, or are dismissed prior to completing 60% of a semester. Federal Financial Aid includes Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Stafford Loans.  Federal Financial Aid must be returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid.  A student who does not complete at least 60% of a semester may owe a repayment to the College and/or the federal government for the amount of unearned Federal Financial Aid based on the length of time the student was enrolled. Immediate repayment may be required.

A student who owes the College may not be permitted to register for a subsequent term or obtain an academic transcript until the debt is paid.  Payment should be made to the Business Office. A student who owes the federal government may be turned over to the U.S. Department of Education and be required to provide documentation of a satisfactory payment arrangement before federal or state financial aid eligibility is restored.


Graduation Requirements

To apply for graduation and have the opportunity to participate in commencement, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Satisfactorily complete the required courses and the number of credit hours specified in a program of study.
  • Achieve at least a 2.00 grade point average in the program of study.
  • File a completed “Graduation Application” with the Registrar prior to the graduation application deadline, as indicated on the Academic Calendar.
  • Pay all financial obligations owed to the College.
  • Earn a minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for a degree, diploma, or certificate through courses taken at the College.
  • Earn credit for a minimum of two courses selected from the major curriculum (excluding electives) at the College, unless specifically exempted by both the department head and dean administering that major.

Only those students who have applied for graduation by the deadline and who have met all requirements for graduation may participate in the commencement ceremony.

Students who have applied for graduation but do not meet all graduation requirements will be notified by the Registrar, via certified letter, that they are not eligible to graduate. To be considered for a future graduation, students must submit a new graduation application and satisfy all other requirements as outlined above.

Students who satisfy all curriculum and financial requirements, but do not apply for graduation (as outlined above), will be administratively awarded the appropriate credential within one semester of completion. These students will not participate in the commencement ceremony.

Credential completion will be indicated on the student’s official transcript. Students may request a copy of the credential by submitting the Credential Order form and paying the appropriate fee.

Commencement Ceremonies

Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of the Spring Semester and the Summer Term each year. All students must apply to graduate. All graduates are encouraged to attend the commencement ceremonies.

Graduation Honors

Graduates who have outstanding institutional grade point averages will be recognized as honor graduates. Honors designations are as follows: 3.50 - 3.74 (Cum Laude); 3.75 - 3.94 (Magna Cum Laude); and 3.95 - 4.00 (Summa Cum Laude).

Gold tassels designate that students are graduating Summa Cum Laude. Honor cords designate by color that students are graduating Cum Laude (blue), Magna Cum Laude (silver), and Summa Cum Laude (gold). The College covers the costs of gold tassels and honor cords.

Student Records


College academic transcripts are issued by the Student Records Office. Current students may request a transcript via their eTC account or online at

Alumni may request a transcript online at

Enrollment Verification

In cooperation with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), the College provides a free self-service program that allows current students to view and print advanced registration and enrollment verifications via eTC.

Advanced registration verifications are available approximately two months prior to the beginning of the semester/term. Enrollment verifications are typically available to students five days after the drop/add period for any given term.

Alumni seeking an enrollment verification must contact Student Records, Pendleton Campus, Miller Hall, Room 112.

Change of Major

Enrolled students who want to change academic majors must first meet with a Student Success Coach, the Division Resource Specialist in the division of the new major, a Career Services counselor, or the Director of Advising to discuss the appropriateness of the new major, the effect on degree completion, and possible financial aid implications. A Change of Major form will be completed to document the change and will be submitted by the student to Student Records for processing.  Students on the Anderson and Easley Campuses may complete the form after meeting with the Community Campus Student Services Coordinator. The deadline to change a major for the current term is noon on the last day to add courses for that term.

Change of Student Information

Each student is obligated to ensure that his/her name, address, and telephone number are current and accurate in the official records of the College. Failure to do so can cause delay in the handling of student records and in emergency notifications. Currently enrolled students can make address and telephone number changes through their eTC accounts. Name changes must be made by contacting the Student Records Office.

Confidentiality of Student Records

Student academic and educational records are confidential and are maintained by the appropriate record custodian. These records are not disclosed without the student’s written consent as defined by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).

Students have a right to inspect their educational records and request a correction of records that may be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of privacy or other rights. Students may obtain a copy of the College’s policy regarding FERPA from the Registrar or Corporate and Community Education. (Students may refer to the Student Code for SC Technical Colleges in Appendix 3 for additional information.)

Release of Student Information

Directory information (or releasable information) is general information that may be released by the institution for any purpose, at its discretion, to anyone without consent of the student. The following is considered directory information at Tri-County Technical College: student name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, birth date, major, participation in officially recognized activities, attendance dates, enrollment status, degrees/awards received, most recent previous school attended, and photographs and electronic images.

Students have the right to withhold disclosure of directory information under the FERPA. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in Student Records by the end of the second week of classes each term (or the first meeting of Corporate and Community Education courses).

Student Right to Know

In compliance with the Student Right to Know Act, the College makes available its completion and transfer rates to all current and prospective students. Additionally, the College is required to provide information regarding campus public safety policies and to report the number of on-campus criminal offenses during the most recent calendar year and the two preceding calendar years. Information regarding completion and transfer rate is available at Information regarding on-campus criminal offenses is available at

English Fluency in Higher Education Act

Students in classes taught by faculty whose first language is other than English have the right to expect the instructor speak in English that is judged to be reasonably understandable. In the event that is not the case, the student may follow the grievance procedures to file a complaint. Such complaints will be handled according to College policy. Students should contact the Senior Vice President to obtain a copy of the policy.

Academic Support Services

Assessment Center

The Assessment Center administers placement and academic make-up testing. The Center also proctors tests for students with disabilities who have been approved to receive testing accommodations through the Office of Disability Services.  Students are encouraged to arrive at the Assessment Center early enough to allow sufficient time to complete testing prior to the published closing time. A picture ID is required. Acceptable forms of identification are a state-issued picture ID (a driver’s license for example), a military ID, or an official school ID (high school or college). Presenting a TCTC student ID is highly recommended and will expedite the check-in process.

Learning Communities

A learning community provides students with an environment that increases their ability to accomplish academic and personal goals and is composed of two or more courses that are linked together. A common group of students is enrolled in the linked courses, so a learning community also provides students with a stronger support network that can help with the adjustment to the College environment. Learning communities are highly recommended for first-time students. Some learning communities include a Freshman Seminar course (COL 105), a course that is designed to help students understand the learning process and acquire essential academic survival skills. Most learning communities are open to all students while a few learning communities are restricted to specific majors or other student classifications.  Students interested in joining a learning community should visit for current learning community offerings and discuss enrollment with an academic advisor or student success coach.


Learning Commons

The Learning Commons is committed to providing quality service and a varied collection of materials to support the interests, goals, and educational and research needs of students, staff, faculty, and community users in support of the College’s wide-ranging curriculum.  We strive to provide an environment for our diverse student population to reach their greatest potential through engagement, accessibility and support by:

  • working with students to connect them to resources that support and enhance learning;
  • providing instruction in information literacy and digital citizenship;
  • providing intellectual and physical access to informational materials in a variety of formats; 
  • stimulating interest in reading and in finding and using information and ideas; 
  • supporting the college’s curriculum and learning initiatives; and
  • transforming learning through creative collaborations with students, faculty, and staff.

Find A Study Space 

The College’s Learning Commons offers an environment where students can engage in a diverse array of learning activities. Individual study and group research areas allow for the exchange of ideas and information with peers.

TCTC operates three Learning Commons locations. The main library is located on the Pendleton Campus; smaller libraries are located at our Anderson and Easley campuses. All locations are staffed by highly qualified professionals trained to connect students with resources regardless of their home campus. Librarians also provide students at the Hamilton Career Center with information literacy instruction to support courses taken at that location.

Get Individualized Help with Assignments

For students uncertain of where to begin research, the service desk is staffed with experts to assist. Many first-time researchers need help getting oriented and planning their research. Reference librarians or reference assistants will assure that students are directed to materials and resources that meet their information needs. Reference services include helping individuals to:

  • clarify their information needs;
  • identify sources where appropriate information can be found; and
  • acquire information needed.

Library staff will give priority to walk-in requests, but assistance is also available by telephone, e-mail or instant messenger queries. Instant messenger is accessible through the chat box on the library website at

Borrowing Books and Printed Materials 

Access to physical resources is available on the Pendleton Campus from 7:45 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 7:45 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Fridays. Hours vary on the community campuses so students are advised to call ahead:  Anderson Library, (864) 260-6720 or Easley Library, (864) 220-8889.

  • Students must present a valid government issued picture ID in order to borrow materials (TCTC ID preferred). 
  • A maximum of eight items can be checked out to a patron’s account.
  • Most items are due back three weeks from the date they are checked out from the library. Some items carry a three day loan period. The due date is always provided on a receipt placed inside each book.  The library service desk (646-1750) can also provide information on due dates for when borrowed items need to be returned.  
  • Borrowed items may be renewed online, over the phone, or by e-mail sent from a valid TCTC e-mail address to
  • Items may be renewed so long as no one else is waiting to borrow them.
  • There is never a charge for borrowing items from the library, but late fees will accrue on overdue items. 
  • Materials are easily transported between campuses upon request. 

Accessing Electronic Resources

The Learning Commons owns a large number of eBooks and online database subscriptions.  Other electronic resources include streaming music, video, language learning software, practice tests and subject specific research guides available online anytime through the library web portal ( A valid student ID is required to access online resources from off-campus locations.

Computers in the Learning Commons

Computers in the Learning Commons are available to support learning and enhance instruction. Students connect to the network using the username and password provided upon admission to the College. All passwords should be kept confidential and private.  Students are responsible for all computer and network activity occurring while he/she is logged in. A guest Wi-Fi network is available for students to connect using their personal laptops or other wireless-enabled devices.

Printing in the Learning Commons

All computers in the learning commons are connected to a printer. Tri-County Technical College utilizes the PaperCut system to manage printing on campus. Every new student receives an initial $10.00 deposit on their PaperCut account.  Monochrome copies are debited .04 cents each. Color copies are debited .08 cents. Additional credits may be purchased in the Learning Commons, Business Office, or Campus Store.

Print jobs may be released from any printer on campus. Campus printers are also set up for making photocopies and scanning documents to e-mail.

Printing from a personal laptop, tablet, or mobile phone is accessible by logging into PaperCut at, clicking Web Print, and then Submit Job.

Services for Distance Learners

The library web portal ( connects students to a rich collection of online information resources to support their academic research, including thousands of e-journals and multiple research databases.  Students can access any of these information resources by logging in with a valid TCTC ID and password.

Students are not limited to the online resources of the TCTC library. Resources from other libraries within the state may be borrowed by filling out a request form located on the library website.  Home delivery of books and web delivery of articles are among the services available to distance learners.  TCTC absorbs the costs of shipping materials requested but students are responsible for the costs associated with returning items to the Learning Commons.

Tutoring Center

The mission of the Tutoring Center is to equip students with the academic and college skills to become independent learners with growth mindsets and the personal responsibility they will need to succeed in today’s careers and in careers yet to be developed. The Tutoring Center is a free resource for all students enrolled at Tri-County Technical College. Even the most successful students need help at times, and TCTC’s Tutoring Center provides the assistance students need to be successful in reaching their educational goals. Tutors work with students who need help with basic skills as well as with students who have high GPAs. Student are encouraged to come early in the semester at the first sign of difficulty in a course.

In addition to course specific tutoring, students can attend Tutoring Center workshops or schedule individual appointments to work on study skills, technology skills, time management, note taking, test-taking, and other college skills. Tutors can assist students with the reading and study skills that are unique to specific courses. Tutors are also skilled in finding online resources for students. 

There are four locations for tutoring:

  • The Pendleton Campus Tutoring Center is across from the Campus Store in Student Center 109. 
  • The Anderson Campus Tutoring Center is in room 208.
  • The Easley Campus Tutoring Center is located in room 231. 
  • Online tutoring is also available for students enrolled in online classes and for students enrolled in courses at the Anderson Campus, the Easley Campus, the Oconee Campus at the Hamilton Career Center, the Watkins Center, or the Industrial Technology Center. Tutors will review writing assignments and return them with comments.  Math and science tutors use Lync and Skype for Business to help students who cannot come for face-to-face appointments. Instructions for online tutoring are posted on the Tutoring Center web page.

Using Starfish, students log into eTC to sign up for one-on-one or group tutoring and to schedule virtual tutoring across campuses. For more information about the Tutoring Center, including the tutoring schedule at each location, details about services and workshops, and access to handouts, students should go to the Learn Tab in eTC and click on “Tutoring Center” under Academic Assistance and Support. Detailed information about making appointments for tutoring is also located on the web page. Tutoring schedules are posted at all campuses and online. 

Appointments are not required, but appointments take precedence over drop-ins. Students have multiple ways to make appointments for tutoring including coming by the Tutoring Center on the Pendleton Campus, calling 864-646-1367, or e-mailing

Supplemental Instruction (SI) 

In addition to tutoring, TCTC students can get academic assistance by attending Supplemental Instruction (SI) meetings. SI is a series of weekly review or study sessions that target historically difficult courses that have high numbers of students drop, withdraw or fail. SI is a non-remedial approach that has a proven track record for helping students achieve higher grades in these gateway courses.

SI is for students who have passing grades in a course, but who want to make the highest grade they can make, students who don’t understand what was taught in class, and students who are having difficulty in a course should begin attending SI sessions early in the semester. 

Supplemental Instruction leaders are students who have already taken the courses and made an A. SI leaders are trained in collaborative learning and effective study strategies. They attend the class meetings along with the students, take notes, and stay in touch with the professors. At the sessions, students review class notes, discuss difficult concepts, and develop effective study skills for the course. SI leaders also hold exam review sessions for many of these courses. 

Weekly SI review sessions are offered on the Pendleton Campus and at Highpointe. A list of courses supported by SI is available on the Tutoring Center web page. Schedules for the SI sessions are posted in the classrooms and in the Tutoring Center, and students enrolled in the courses receive weekly e-mails giving times and locations of the sessions. The Twitter handle for Supplemental Instruction is @TCTC_SI, and TCTC Supplemental Instruction is on Facebook. For more information, contact the TCTC Tutoring Center.  

Educational Partnership Programs

Bridge Programs

Tri-County Technical College has transfer agreements enabling students to “bridge” to several postsecondary institutions. Each program is unique, but in all cases, students who meet specified criteria may transfer to the senior institution after completion of the program requirements at Tri-County.  For additional information on any of the Bridge programs listed below, call 864-646-1683.

Bridge to Clemson: A first of its kind in South Carolina, this invitation-only program blends the traditional academic experience at Tri-County with the social and cultural experiences of Clemson University. Invitations are extended by Clemson to those who narrowly miss admission to the University. Bridge students must earn 30 transfer credits at Tri-County during their Bridge year and earn a 2.5 GPA in order to transition to Clemson for their sophomore year. Students live together in a local apartment complex and have access to student life programs and services at both Tri-County and Clemson.

Bridge to Lander: Lander University has developed a partnership agreement with all 16 technical colleges in South Carolina. The program provides advising and academic support for prospective freshman transfer students who have been identified by the institutions and who meet the GPA requirements.

Bridge to USC: This statewide agreement is intended to make transitions from SC technical colleges to USC as seamless as possible and to increase the success of transfer students once they are enrolled at the Columbia campus. The University and technical colleges will identify and contact students who are eligible for the program. Participating students will have access to a variety of services from Tri-County and USC.

Columbia College Four-Year Right Here: Columbia College has partnered with Tri-County to provide an Associate’s to Bachelor’s Degree Program that allows students to complete their bachelor’s degree through Columbia College in the evenings on Tri-County’s campus at a significantly discounted tuition rate. Students graduating with an applicable associate’s degree will be able to complete their bachelor’s degrees within two full calendar years. Students apply directly to Columbia College’s Associate’s to Bachelor’s Degree Program.

USC Upstate Direct Connect: USC Upstate has developed a partnership agreement with several upstate colleges that guarantees admission to USC Upstate for students who graduate with an Associate in Arts Degree, an Associate in Science Degree, or selected Associate in Applied Science degrees. To enable a smooth transition, the program provides enhanced academic advising and accelerated admission to USC Upstate.

Other articulations: Tri-County Technical College has developed major-specific transfer agreements with a number of four-year universities. For more information, contact the Bridge and Educational Partnership Office at 864-646-1683.

Connect to College

Connect to College (C2C) enables academically capable youth between the ages of 17-20 to earn simultaneously their high school diploma and college credit, up to and including a post-secondary credential. The first of its kind in South Carolina, C2C is a program for students who, for a variety of reasons, have faced difficulties in traditional high school settings. The program provides students with intensive support services that build confidence and foster success in a collegiate learning environment.

Students in Connect to College take college courses for dual credit taught by College faculty on Tri-County’s Pendleton Campus. With approval, students are permitted to take one or more courses online or at the Easley, Anderson, or Oconee campuses of Tri-County Technical College. Students may also, with permission, take one or more courses for high school credit only through VirtualSC. Courses offered through VirtualSC are online, offered through the South Carolina Department of Education, and accessed primarily through C2C computer labs with instructional facilitators available for assistance. Students who graduate through C2C are awarded a standard South Carolina High School Diploma by their sponsor high school (a public high school in Anderson, Oconee or Pickens counties). Diplomas are presented to graduates at Tri-County Technical College commencement ceremonies, held each May and August, or during a C2C commencement ceremony in December.

The program covers the costs for tuition and textbooks. Students are required to pay College fees each semester and to cover their own costs for transportation, child care, and supplies. Students must also pay any debts they owe to Tri-County Technical College (such as library fines and parking fines). There is no financial assistance available to offset the costs of fees, transportation/child care, supplies, or fines. Connect to College does not provide van or bus transportation.

All C2C students must meet specific eligibility requirements. The first step in the application process is to attend a Connect to College Overview Session. Interested students may sign up for an overview session by calling 864-646-1461. Additional information about this program is avaible at

High School Dual Enrollment


Tri-County’s dual enrollment and career pathways programs provide opportunities for qualified high school juniors and seniors, with permission from their parents or guardians and high school officials, to take Tri-County courses. Opportunities include university transfer courses as well as technical courses offered through career pathways that seamlessly connect secondary and post-secondary curricula in a specialized career field. Students must submit the online Dual Enrollment Application for Admission and a Dual Enrollment Permission Form with the appropriate signatures in order to be admitted to the College. For additional information, contact 864-646-1505 or 864-646-1501.


TRiO Programs provide academic and motivational support to qualified low-income and first-generation college students. Programs at Tri-County Technical College include:

  • Educational Talent Search (ETS) is an outreach program of information, educational guidance counseling, and support for qualified high school and middle school students as well as out-of-school youth who wish to enter a post-secondary institution. ETS provides connections to high quality academic tutoring services; advice and assistance in secondary course selection; assistance in preparing for college entrance exams and completing college admission applications; information on the full range of Federal student financial aid and assistance in completing financial aid applications; guidance on and assistance in alternative education programs; services for financial and economic literacy; and services for homeless and foster care students.
  • Upward Bound (UB): The Upward Bound program serves high school youth through both academic year and summer components. UB provides academic tutoring and instruction in English, Spanish, math, reading, and science; advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection; assistance in preparing for college entrance exams; information on the full range of Federal student financial aid programs; assistance in completing financial aid applications; guidance on and assistance in alternative education programs; services for financial and economic literacy; and services for homeless and foster care students. Participants who are recent high school graduates take part in a summer bridge component and enroll in university transfer courses.

For more information on either program, call 864-646-1593.