Sep 21, 2020  
2014-2015 College Catalog 
2014-2015 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

Residency Requirements

Residency at Tri-County Technical College is an essential part of tuition assessment. Initial determination of one’s resident status is made at the time of admission. The determination made at that time, and any determination made thereafter, prevails for each subsequent semester/term until information becomes available that would impact the existing residency status. In order for residency status to be evaluated before the tuition due date, the residency packet must be submitted to the residency officer (190 Miller Hall, Pendleton Campus) no later than the residency priority date (as indicated on the Enrollment and Academic Calendar). Residency packets will be considered after the priority deadline through the last day of classes for the term in which the student is attempting to qualify for in-state tuition. However, the student must pay out-of-state tuition prior to the tuition due date. If in-state residency is then granted, the student will receive a refund of the tuition difference.

The burden of proof rests with the student to show evidence as deemed necessary to establish and maintain her/his residency status. Questions regarding acceptable documentation proving residency should be directed to the Residency Officer, Pendleton Campus, Miller Hall, Room 190. Students who falsify residential information will be charged at the appropriate tuition rate, plus interest at a rate of 8% per annum, plus a penalty amounting to 25% of the out-of-state rate for one semester.

Students are required to pay out-of-state tuition if they are not legal residents of the state of South Carolina.

Note: Establishing residency at a university or college other than Tri-County Technical College does not guarantee the same residency classification at this College.

(Legal residence status is determined by regulations issued under S.C. Code of Laws, 1976, Titles 59-112-10 through 59-112-100.)


Tuition is set on a sliding scale based upon the student’s legal residence as defined in the Code of Laws of South Carolina, guidelines promulgated by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education and the Tri-County Technical College Commission.  Those students who live in Anderson, Oconee and Pickens counties pay the lowest fees because part of their tax dollars funds the College.  Other students from South Carolina pay a lower fee than out-of-state students because the College derives part of its support from state revenues.  Senior citizens may be eligible for tuition exemption provided they meet eligibility guidelines and courses are taken on a space-available basis.

Tuition is subject to change without notice. Please check the College website for the most current tuition amounts by clicking the ‘Paying for College’ link on the home page, As of the production of this Catalog, tuition rates per semester/term are as follows (includes the following mandatory fees): 

Anderson/Oconee/Pickens Counties    $156.00 per credit hour
All Other SC Counties    $203.00 per credit hour
Out-of-State/Out-of-Country    $347.00 per credit hour

Technology Fee: $4 per credit hour

Student Activity Fee: $2 per credit hour 

Senior Citizens

The College offers tuition-free courses, both credit and non-credit, on a space-available basis to senior citizens, 60 years of age or older. To be eligible for tuition-free courses, a student must be a legal resident of South Carolina, not be employed full time, and meet all admission requirements. The College may require proof that the student is eligible for tuition-waived status. All students, including senior citizens, will be responsible for purchasing required textbooks and paying material fees. Specific registration dates are published on the Enrollment and Academic Calendar found at

Community and personal interest courses through the Community and Corporate Education Division are not offered on a tuition-free basis.

Children of Veterans

Based on the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976 Title 59-111-20, the College offers “Free Credit Tuition for Certain War Veterans’ Children.” The Business Office must receive a letter from the state of South Carolina, Office of the Governor, Division of Veterans’ Affairs, before waiving tuition. Tuition waivers apply only to credit courses.

Children of Firemen, Law-Enforcement Officers, and Other Public Employees Totally Disabled or Killed in the Line of Duty

Based on the Code of Laws of South Carolina, Section 59-111, the College offers tuition-free courses to children of firemen, law-enforcement officers, organized rescue squad members, and other kinds of public employees who become totally disabled or are killed in the line of duty, paid for a period not exceeding four years, regardless of the number of state-supported colleges, universities, or state-supported vocational or technical schools the child attends.

Public and government employees referred to above are defined as:

  1. Firemen, both regularly employed and members of volunteer organized units, organized rescue squad members, members of the Civil Air Patrol, law enforcement officers, or corrections officers, as defined herein, including reserve and auxiliary units of counties or municipalities who become totally disabled or killed in the line of duty on or after July 1, 1964.
  2. Government employees who become totally disabled or are killed in the line of duty while working on state time on or after July 1, 1996, as a result of a criminal act committed against them which constitutes a felony under the laws of this State.

The College requires proof that the person is eligible for tuition-waived status.  All students, including Children of Veterans, Firemen, Law-enforcement Officers, and Government employees, will be responsible for purchasing any textbooks and paying material fees and lab fees required in the course(s).  Personal interest courses through the Corporate & Community Education Division are not offered on a tuition-free basis.  This article shall not apply to a child or children born after the first year of total disability as herein defined.

Application for the free tuition provided for shall be filed in the governing body of the institution and shall be accompanied by proof or evidence of death or total disability of the parent of the applicant and such proof or evidence that the injury or death occurred in the line of duty as considered necessary by such governing body, which shall have sole discretion in granting or not granting free tuition.


If your tuition and fees funding is greater than your account balance generating a credit balance, you may have funds available to charge books at the TCTC Campus Store against your student account.  You can check your account balance on your online bill/schedule.  No Campus Store charges are allowed after the posted deadline.  Check the Campus Store website at for dates.

If you have a credit balance, but you prefer to purchase books off campus, you may stop by the Business Office to request a book check.  Students may use their active Higher One account to receive the funds.  Please see the section on refunds for more information.  Generally the request must be made at least 10 days before the Campus Store charging period begins.  A detailed cost sheet from the merchant is required before funds will be processed. 

Special Fees

Fees are subject to change without notice.  Please see College website for the most current rates.  As of the production of this Catalog, current fees include:

  • Application Fee: $30
  • Enrollment Fee: $45 (for first-time students or returning students)
  • Course Materials Fee: $10-$75 (when applicable)
  • Exemption Fee: per course $75
  • Credential Order Fee: $35
  • Credential Reorder Fee: $35
  • Identification Card Replacement: $5
  • Registration Fee: $40 (when applicable)
  • Placement Retesting Fee: $10
  • Stop Payment/Reissue Check Fee: $30
  • Student Activity Fee: $2 per registered credit hour 
  • Packet Fee: $12 (when applicable)
  • Surcharge for In-County Residents (when applicable) 
  • Technology Fee: $4 per registered credit hour 
  • Transcript Fee: $7 per copy
  • Uniform, Equipment, and Insurance Fees: Students who enroll in Dental Assisting, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Practical Nursing, Surgical Technology, or Veterinary Technology must purchase lab coats and/or uniforms and are required to pay a liability insurance fee. Certain other majors, such as the Early Childhood Development Program, require the purchase of some equipment/supplies which become the property of the student.
  • Criminal record checks, agency orientation, and drug screens are required for Health Education programs. Criminal record checks are also required for the Early Childhood Development programs.

Surcharge for In-County Residents

A portion of the College’s operating budget is funded by each of the three counties in our service area (Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens). A surcharge may be assessed on residents of a county if that county does not meet its obligation for funding support of the College.  The surcharge is subject to change without notice and may be assessed before the start of any semester.  The surcharge will be assessed on every registered credit hour for the applicable term.  The surcharge applies to all courses except those offered through Corporate & Community Education.  

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Paying Tuition

Students may pay tuition and fees by cash, check or credit/debit card. The College accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.  Payments are accepted online, in person, by U.S. mail, or by phone.

  • The easiest and most convenient way to pay is to pay online through eTC portal accounts using checks, credit cards, or debit cards. There is no fee for this service.
  • Students paying in person should go to the Pendleton Campus Business Office in Miller Hall, the Anderson Campus Business Office, or the Easley Campus Business Office.
  • Students can pay by mail by sending checks to Tri-County Technical College, Attention: Business Office, P.O. Box 587, Pendleton, SC, 29670.
  • Students paying by phone can call in American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa numbers to 864-646-1802 or toll-free (within the 864 area code) 1-866-269-5677, ext. 1802. Payments may also be made by calling the Anderson Campus Business Office at 864-260-6701 or the Easley Campus Business Office at 864-220-8895.
  • Credit students may also enroll in a payment plan during specified periods of enrollment. This is an interest-free monthly payment plan that drafts payments directly from debit/credit card accounts. There is a $25 nonrefundable fee to participate each semester. Students must enroll in a payment plan each semester as it does not roll from term to term. For information on the payment plan, students may access their eTC portal account or contact the Business Office at 864-646-1802 (Pendleton), at 864-260-6701 (Anderson), or at 864-220-8895 (Easley).

Dishonored (Returned) Checks

A dishonored check is one that is returned to the College as unpaid.  These checks include stop payments, insufficient funds, refer to maker, account closed and any other reason for unpaid funds  A $30 fee will be assessed for each dishonored check.  Checking account holders will be notified via certified mail to contact the Business office within 10 days before the item is turned over for prosecution.  If restitution is not made, the returned item will be forwarded to the local solicitor’s office for collection.  At that time, the College cannot accept payment from the student.  The solicitor’s office will be responsible for collecting payment.  Once warrants are issued they cannot be withdrawn by the College.  Students will not be allowed to register or receive transcripts until the dishonored check is paid in full.


A sponsorship is defined as a program provided by an employer or other organization that pays Tri-County Technical College directly for a portion or all tuition, fees and/or books. Proper documentation must be submitted to the Business Office at least five business days before the tuition deadline for each semester/term to ensure payment arrangements are made and course schedules remain intact.

Debts Owed to the College

  • Students who owe the College for tuition, books, parking tickets, or library fines will not receive grades until their bills have been paid; these debts could be from any time enrolled in the College.
  • Students who owe the College $50 or more will not be allowed to register for subsequent terms until their bills have been paid.
  • Students who owe the College less than $50 will be allowed to register but must pay bills in full by the posted payment deadlines or risk being dropped from all classes, which will require re-registering.
  • Students will not be permitted to graduate or receive transcripts until all prior debts to the College are paid in full.

Account Balances and Collection

The Business Office staff strive to accurately bill and collect revenue generated by student tuition and fees, outside entities and related parties, to support the College by delivering excellent customer service and to constantly evaluate and improve our processes and procedures to improve efficiency of our operations and to assure fair and honest treatment to our customers.

The Business Office is responsible to collect outstanding balances from self-pay, financial aid, or other sources. Billed charges include tuition, lab and technology fees, and certain miscellaneous charges including book charges, penalties and fines.

The Business Office staff will send statements to students’ active email and mailing address with the college. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the address is correct on their student account. If a student is not enrolled in an active payment plan for the term and is not current with installments, then the account is considered past due. Balances are due immediately.  

When the account is 30 days without payment after the end of a term, the account will be moved to collections status. Once in collections, the current balance may not be seen online and you will need to contact the Business Office to make full payment. The college may add any and all collection cost to your student account. Account balances that remain in collection status will be submitted to a collection agency and/or the South Carolina Department of Revenue. South Carolina Department of Revenue will withhold the amount due to Tri-County Technical College, plus a $25.00 administrative fee from your tax refund. If your refundable amount is not sufficient to cover the entire balance owed to the college, South Carolina Department of Revenue may also garnish wages. We will submit the account balance each year thereafter until the full balance is satisfied.


It is the responsibility of the student to initiate all action for a schedule change in order to receive a refund, except in the case of cancelled courses. See Enrollment and Academic calendar for refund deadlines at

Refunds are processed throughout the semester.  Parts of term vary in length from the semester term and will be in proportion to the semester term refund schedule.  Specific dates for each term are listed in the Class Schedule and on the Tri-County Technical College website.

Refunds due to a student will be calculated and mailed to the student’s last known address or to the agency paying the fees within approximately six weeks from the beginning of the semester.  Thereafter, refunds are processed weekly.

Refunds will be processed using Higher One. Higher One provides refund options that include direct deposit to a personal bank account, a ‘One Card’ known as the TCTCAccessCard, or by paper check.  The One Card option credits the funds to a prepaid card provided by Higher One. More information on Higher One and the new refund process may be reviewed at

Cancelled Courses

When a course cancellation reduces a student’s course load to below full-time status, the student (or sponsor) will receive a 100% refund of the difference between the full course load (12 credit hours) and the new course load. If the student was enrolled for less than full-time status, the student (or sponsor) will receive a 100% refund for the actual hours cancelled. No action is required by the student to initiate the refund. Students receiving financial aid must contact the Financial Aid Office in order to discuss financial aid implications and to have their financial aid awards adjusted.

Dropped Courses or Reduction of Credit Hours

  1. The refund schedule is as follows:
    • Before or during the drop period: 100%
    • After the drop period: 0%

Refunds will be computed based upon the actual number of reduced credit hours.

Terms of varying lengths will have refund periods that correspond to the drop periods. If the drop period is equivalent to less than one instructional day, no refund will be granted. The specific drop periods for each term are noted on the Enrollment and Academic Calendar available at

  1. To be eligible for a refund, students must initiate the drop action by dropping the course(s) via their eTC account. The request must be made during the refund period. The refund request will be processed within 30 days.
  2. Students who never attend a class during the drop period will be administratively dropped.
  3. Recipients of Title IV Federal Financial Aid (Pell Grant) who withdraw from all classes prior to completing 60% of the term will have tuition and fee charges refunded to the government in accordance with the statutory repayment policy. In certain instances, this repayment may result in a debt to the College and/or the government that the student must repay. Copies of this regulation and related examples are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid

The primary purpose of financial aid is to help students in need of financial assistance to attend college. Students should apply for financial aid early since priority dates are established for several types of aid. Priority dates are included on the Enrollment and Academic Calendar found at

Financial Aid Policies

  • A student’s financial need is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the total cost of attending the College. The financial aid awarded to a student is not to exceed the total cost of attendance and is to be used for legitimate educational purposes.
  • Students who receive financial aid must reapply each year. Students receiving financial aid who withdraw from any classes for the term must notify the Financial Aid Office as this could affect eligibility for continued assistance.
  • The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to review and cancel aid awards at any time because of changes in a student’s financial, academic or enrollment status. If the student fails to perform College Work-Study duties satisfactorily, funds awarded for FWS may also be removed.
  • Students receiving financial assistance through any of the Title IV Federal Student Aid Programs must be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • For the fall semester, students are encouraged to apply by April 1 to be considered for all Federal or State student financial assistance.

Types of Financial Aid

Pell Grant

Undergraduate students who have not received a bachelor’s or professional degree may be considered for the Federal Pell Grant program. The amount of the grant received depends on the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the U.S. Department of Education through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the student’s enrollment status. A FAFSA must be completed for each new academic year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are available to students who have not completed a bachelor’s or professional degree. FSEOG is awarded to exceptionally needy students. Priority is given to Pell Grant eligible students with the lowest EFCs. There is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive an FSEOG award. Funding for this program is limited.

LIFE Scholarship

All students are encouraged to apply for aid through the FAFSA. However, LIFE (Legislative Incentive for Future Excellence) Scholarships do not require an application for financial aid. Eligibility is determined once the final, official high school transcript is received by the TCTC Admissions Office. The LIFE Scholarship is an academic scholarship funded by the State of South Carolina. It is awarded to legal residents of South Carolina who graduated from a South Carolina high school,or  an approved home-school program, or who were dependents of active-duty military stationed outside of SC when they graduated from high school.  LIFE Scholarship cannot be awarded to any student who has been convicted of a felony or alcohol/drug related offense. A LIFE Scholarship cannot be awarded to any student who owes a repayment to a federal or state grant program or is in default on a federal student loan. LIFE Scholarships are awarded to entering freshmen who earned a minimum 3.0 SC Uniform GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in high school. LIFE is disbursed to students who enroll in a minimum of 12 non-remedial credit hours per semester and are seeking a degree, diploma or certificate that meets the U.S. Department of Education’s Title IV regulations. Course numbers of 100 or below, as well as English 150 and Math 150 are considered remedial coursework and are not counted in the LIFE enrollment status for eligibility.

Transfer students must self-identify by contacting the Financial Aid Office regarding what documents are required to confirm continuing LIFE eligibility. Transfer students must have earned at least 15 credit hours for every semester elapsed since the initial enrollment in a post-secondary institution. Thirty non-remedial credit hours for the academic year must be successfully completed, and a cumulative, collegiate GPA of 3.0 must be maintained to remain eligible for the LIFE Scholarship.

Lottery Tuition Assistance

Students intending to access Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA) funds must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). South Carolina students who qualify for in-state tuition rates at a technical or public two-year institution may be eligible to receive LTA if the Tuition and fees are not covered by Federal or other State gift aid. LTA will not pay for any expenses other than tuition, and will not generate a credit balance on an account. LTA by itself will never pay the entire cost of tuition. Students must be South Carolina residents and must enroll in at least 6 credit hours each term in an eligible program. Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA after attempting 24 semester hours in order to continue to receive LTA. Additional information on the SC Education Lottery Act is provided on the SC Technical College System website at or upon request from the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time employment for students to help meet their educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to a student’s program of study. Students may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. Student work hours are assigned according to the amount of the total FWS award, class schedule, and academic progress. FWS positions may be on or off campus. The total FWS award depends on time of application, level of need, and availability of funds. Students will be paid an hourly rate on a monthly basis.

SC Need-Based Grant

The South Carolina Need-Based Grant is available to a limited number of students with financial need determined by the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on financial information provided on the FAFSA.  Students must be South Carolina residents to qualify.  The number of grants at TCTC is limited by the amount of funds allotted to the College each year.

Federal Student Loans

Stafford Loan (Subsidized): A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. If a student is eligible for a subsidized loan, the government will pay (subsidize) the interest on the loan until repayment begins.

Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized): Unlike a subsidized loan, students are responsible for the interest from the time the unsubsidized loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Students can choose to pay the interest or allow it to accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized. Capitalizing the interest will increase the amount to repay.

Stafford Loan Limits: a studentsmay receive a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan for the same enrollment period as long as annual loan limits do not exceed:

Subsidized Amounts

  • $3,500 per academic year for a freshman or
  • $4,500 per academic year for a sophomore

Dependent students are eligible for additional unsubsidized loans up to $2,000. Independent students are eligible for additional unsubsidized loans up to $6,000.

Repayment of Stafford Loans

After graduating, leaving school, or dropping below half-time enrollment, students will have a six-month “grace period” before beginning repayment. During this period, students receive repayment information from their loan servicer and the first payment due date. Students are responsible for beginning repayment on time, even if they don’t receive this information. Payments are usually due monthly.

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Study

PLUS Loans: Parents can borrow a PLUS Loan to help pay a dependent undergraduate student’s education expenses if the student is enrolled at least half time in an eligible program. Parents must have an acceptable credit history.

The yearly limit on a PLUS Loan is equal to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received. If the cost of attendance is $6,000, for example, and the student receives $4,000 in other financial aid, parents can borrow up to $2,000.

Alternative Loans

Alternative loan programs are also available for those who qualify. Additional information is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid during Summer Term

Summer financial aid is available to those who qualify and is awarded separately from fall and spring semesters. Summer funding is limited; not all funds are available. Awards will not be offered until the student has registered for the summer term. Students who revise their summer enrollment course load must notify the Financial Aid Office as changes in enrollment may affect eligibility for aid.

TCTC Foundation Scholarships

Tri-County Technical College Foundation scholarships are awarded each year to both new and continuing students. Application deadlines are posted on the web and flat screens on campus. The criteria for scholarships vary, but include academic achievement, community participation, and financial need. Application materials and eligibility information are available in the Foundation, and Financial Aid offices and on the College website at

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) provides assistance to individuals seeking employment and training services. Assistance with employment and training expenses may be available to those who meet eligibility requirements of the program. Students interested in applying should contact their local WIA office (SC Department of Employment).

Veterans Educational Benefits

The College is approved for veterans’ educational benefits by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, State Approving Agency (SAA) for training veterans and dependents. TCTC participates under Title 38 of the U.S. Code in these programs: Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill; Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty; Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation; Chapter 32 VEAP; and Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA). Title 10 of the U.S. Code are Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill- Selected Reserve and Chapter 1607 REAP.  For further details and current payment rates regarding these education benefit chapters, please refer to the GI Bill website at

Veterans, dependents, and members of the National Guard or Reserve may be eligible to receive benefits while pursuing an approved program of education or training. For this section, the term “veteran” can refer to a veteran as well as an eligible dependent or an eligible member of the National Guard or Reserve.

To receive benefits, the veteran must first be admitted into a program of study at the College. The veteran should then report to the Veterans Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office (Pendleton Campus) with a copy of his/her DD214 (if application is based on active duty service) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (if application is based on current Reserve or National Guard service). Children, spouses, and widows will need specific information on the qualifying veteran and should contact the Veterans Coordinator to determine exactly what is needed.

Veterans also must furnish the Admissions Office with official transcripts from high school and all colleges attended. An evaluation of all college transcripts must be completed by the end of the second term in a new program of study. This evaluation is necessary to determine what credits will count toward graduation in the veteran’s program of study. Enrollment may not be certified beyond the second term until this is accomplished. The veteran is responsible for making sure the transcript evaluation has been completed.


To change a program of study (major), the same admission and evaluation process must be followed and a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” Form (22-1995, or 22-5495 if an eligible dependent) must be completed with the Veterans Coordinator, or online at A “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” form is needed for a VA student transferring to Tri-County Technical College who has used benefits elsewhere. The student should complete the form and submit to the Veterans Coordinator to retain in the VA student’s record.


Certification of enrollment to Veterans Affairs (VA) is at the request of the veteran. The veteran must complete the “Request for Certification of Enrollment” form. This form is located in the financial aid section of The Veterans Coordinator must review the classes selected at registration each term. The law provides that no payment will be made to an eligible veteran for auditing a course or for taking a course in which the grade assigned is not used in computing graduation requirements. This means that a veteran may not be certified for any course not listed in his/her curriculum as a graduation requirement. If there are electives listed as part of the curriculum, the total number of elective hours designated by the program should not be exceeded. Electives listed as approved electives, or electives approved in writing by his/her department head should be taken.


All recipients of veterans’ educational benefits must immediately notify the Veterans Coordinator of any change that may affect their pay status. Such changes include change of program, change of schedule (dropping/adding classes), and change of address.


The following rules apply to students receiving VA Educational Benefits:

  1. Non-Punitive grade: A non-punitive grade is a grade that does not count as earned credit and is not considered in progress standards for graduation. A withdrawal after the drop period is non-punitive if it is not calculated into the student’s GPA, or it is not considered in academic progress criteria. Payment is not allowed for a course in which this grade is awarded. Students receiving a “W” should consult with the Veterans Coordinator if there are any mitigating circumstances.
  2.  Grade of “I”: For evaluation of VA Satisfactory Progress, the grade of “I” (incomplete) will be computed as an “F” when calculating the program GPA. Once the permanent grade is assigned, the student should contact the Veterans Coordinator to review his/her status. Enrollment cannot be certified to VA for a course with a current “I” grade.
  3. Grade of “AU”: Is a grade that indicates audit of a course. Enrollment cannot be certified to VA for any course with a grade of “AU.”


Traditional College Programs (IHL)

  1. Each veteran certified for benefits will have an evaluation of his/her academic progress at the end of each term. If a program GPA of 2.0 is not maintained during any term, the veteran will be placed on “VA Probation” for the following term.
  2. If a minimum 2.0 program GPA is achieved during the probationary term, “VA Probation” status will be removed.
  3. If a minimum 2.0 program GPA is not achieved during the probationary term, termination of the veteran’s benefit certification will result at the end of that term. Certification is suspended until the veteran has been counseled in the Student Life and Counseling Services Office on the Pendleton Campus. The results of this counseling session will determine if enrollment can be certified for his/her present program, or if a new program would be in his/her best interest. The veteran is responsible for making the Veterans Coordinator aware of the counseling session and results. If reinstated, the veteran will be returned to “satisfactory” status and his/her progress evaluated in the normal fashion at the end of each term.


In order to meet Veterans Affairs (VA) certification requirements for off-campus courses, such as courses offered via the Internet or other modes of distance learning, the College acknowledges that these courses are part of the College’s approved curriculum, are directly supervised by the College, are measured in the same unit as other courses, are required for graduation, and are part of a program of study approved by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education (state approving agency). The College requires that the faculty teaching these courses use a grading system similar to the grading system used in resident courses and include statements in the course syllabus that indicate that appropriate assignments are needed for the completion of the course and that the student is expected to demonstrate, at least once a week, that he/she is actively involved in the class. Examples of activities that can be used to demonstrate this involvement include, but are not limited to, the following: posting/receiving e-mails, participating in online class discussions and class chat rooms, and completing and submitting course assignments. Further, the College requires that these courses have schedules of time for training and instruction which demonstrate that students shall spend at least as much time in preparation, instruction, and training as is normally required by the College for its resident courses.


Students who are receiving benefits under the following VA educational programs must verify their monthly enrollment at the end of each month.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill for active duty service)
Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill for selected reserve)
Chapter 1607 (selected reserve called to active duty in response to war or national emergency)
Chapter 35 (GI Bill for eligible dependents non-degree programs only

Verification of enrollment can be completed either by phone at 877-823-2378 or on the Internet at (follow the link for WAVE — Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).


Veterans receiving benefits by direct deposit can initiate or make changes to their direct deposit by calling 877-838-2778.

Direct Deposit of education benefits is now available for Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance -DEA) recipients. Students can sign up to have benefits delivered via direct deposit by calling the VA Education Call Center at (1-888-442-4551). The student will need to know the type of account (checking or savings) they want their direct deposit sent to, their routing number, and their account number.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Federal and Other Student Aid Programs

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Students receiving financial assistance must be making satisfactory progress towards a degree, diploma, or certificate.  Students receiving financial aid through state programs will, at a minimum, meet the same standards when specific criteria are not prescribed.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is a federal government requirement and is measured by a number of factors including the following:

Grade Point Average - (Qualitative Measure)

  • A student must maintain an institutional grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 (C) or better to remain eligible for financial aid.
  • At the end of the first semester in which a student’s institutional GPA is less than 2.00, the student will be placed on Warning for one semester.  Financial aid will be continued during the Warning semester.  The student is required to meet with his/her advisor during the Warning semester to complete an Academic Improvement Plan.
  • If the institutional GPA falls below a 2.00 (C) during the Warning semester, the student will be placed on Federal Aid Suspension.

Cumulative Credit Hours - (Quantitative Measure)

  • A student must successfully pass 67% of all attempted hours, including developmental and transfer credits.
  • Students who do not pass at least 67% of all attempted hours will be placed on Warning for one semester. Financial aid will be continued during the Warning semester. The student is required to meet with his/her advisor during the Warning semester to complete an Academic Improvement Plan.
  • If the student fails to pass 67% of all attempted hours thereafter, he/she will be placed on Federal Aid Suspension.
  • If a student receives a W, I, WF, or an F, the student does not pass the hours. These grades factor into the 67% passing requirement.

Maximum Hours - (Quantitative Measure)

  • A student may only receive financial aid for a limited number of credit hours. Eligibility for financial aid is terminated after a student has attempted 150% of the hours required for his/her program of study.
  • The attempted hours include all course work including developmental and transfer credits accepted by the College.
  • The Maximum Hours measure is program specific.
  • A student transferring from another institution will have all credits accepted by TCTC considered toward the 150%
  • There is a possibility that a student may be ineligible for aid, based on academic progress, even before the student applies. (TCTC looks at a student’s complete enrollment history to establish eligibility regardless of the student’s past application.)


Exceptions to this policy will be reviewed based on an appeals process under the umbrella of professional judgment. Students with documented appeals may be given exceptions on a case-by-case basis. A written appeal must be submitted and approved for reinstatement.

  • A student on federal aid suspension may appeal by: 
    • Completing an Academic Improvement and/or Graduation Plan during the semester of Warning status.
    • Completing a Financial Aid Appeal Form, (available on the College’s website at indicating unforeseeable reasons that were beyond the students control that explain why he or she did not meet the requirements.
    • Providing official documentation of the extenuating circumstances cited in the appeal.
  • Acceptable reasons for appeal include circumstances which the student could not have foreseen at the beginning of the term, and which are completely beyond the control of the student, such as personal illness, family difficulties, and death or serious illness of a family member. The student must provide appropriate documentation supporting the appeal. Incomplete appeal documents will be returned to the student, unprocessed.
  • The appeals deadline will be posted prior to the beginning of each term, and in the notification of suspension sent to students. Appeals must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office in writing and accompanied by appropriate documentation no later than the published deadline for the semester in which the student is requesting aid. Late appeals will be processed for the following academic term.
  • Students are limited to two financial aid appeals.
  • Initially, the appeal will be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid and/or the Satisfactory Progress Manager to determine the merit of the appeal. If appropriate, the appeal will be forwarded to the Financial Aid Appeal Committee.
  • Appeal decisions will be made prior to the start of class. Students will be notified via eTC e-mail.
  • Students may have their financial aid reinstated with the approval of an appeal. Students reinstated by appeal will have to adhere to prescribed guidelines which will be outlined with the notification of approval.
  • All decisions made by the Financial Aid Appeal Committee are final. Students whose appeals are denied must regain eligibility prior to receiving additional financial assistance.


  • It is the student’s responsibility to monitor his/her status for Satisfactory Academic Progress. This can be done using the student’s eTC account. The status is updated at the end of each semester, once grades are finalized in Student Records.
  • At the end of each semester the Financial Aid Office will review the GPA, earned credit hours, and maximum hours.  Students on Warning and Suspension will be notified  as quickly as possible via eTC email; students who are suspended will also be notified via the U.S. Postal Service.  Students should check their status regularly as appeal times may be limited due to the start date of the following semester.
  • Students on suspension will be ineligible for state and other aid as appropriate, and all Title IV financial aid, including loans.

Withdrawing from a Semester

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw, officially or unofficially, regardless of circumstances, may fall under the “Return of Title IV Funds Policy,” depending on their last date of attendance.

Should a student withdraw from school during the course of a semester, a Federal Repayment of Funds calculation (Return to Title IV, or R2T4) will be made and the withdrawing student may be required to repay a portion of the Federal assistance received. The student cannot receive any federal student aid or transcript information until such repayment has been made.


Earned Aid Policy

The Federal Title IV Earned Aid Policy is based on the Higher Education Reauthorization Act of 1998 and states that students must remain enrolled in college in order to earn the financial aid awarded for that specific term. Withdrawing from college can negatively impact all financial aid eligibility and can cause a student to owe funds back to those federal programs. Students must complete at least 60% of the term to earn financial aid for that term. There are several ways that federal financial aid eligibility can be affected by withdrawal:

  • Students may have to repay some of the financial aid funds received for that term. These programs include the Federal Pell Grant and the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. This may mean balances due by the student to both the College and the Department of Education. Financial Aid will perform the calculation to determine if repayment is required. This calculation cannot be performed while the student is in the office during the withdrawal process because data from other areas of the College must be gathered. Students will be informed by mail  approximately three weeks from the date of the complete withdrawal. Students must have a valid permanent address on file with the Student Records Office. If a student owes a repayment, the College will not release transcript data and he/she cannot receive federal financial aid funds at any college until that repayment has been made.
  • Students could lose academic eligibility for future financial aid. Students are required to make satisfactory academic progress to continue receiving aid. While withdrawals may not affect a student’s GPA, they can impact a student’s completion rate. See section titled “Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid” for additional information.
  • Before withdrawing, students should contact the Financial Aid Office (Pendleton Campus, Miller Hall, Room 150) to learn about options and how withdrawing may affect financial aid.